The cost of living crisis means we’re all looking for ways to save money. One way is to make your own gifts for special occasions and with one just around the corner, I thought it would be a good time to float some ideas that you will have time to make before the day. In fact, I think nothing says I’m thinking of you more than taking the time and effort to make something special for a special person.
Let’s be honest here, there’s nothing special about walking into the local supermarket and grabbing the first thing you see off the shelf (yes men, I’m looking at you…) However, taking the time to try a new technique and make something thoughtful will always go down a treat. If you really want to make an impact this Valentine’s Day, then go DIY. The person it’s meant for will really appreciate you for it.
What’s more, you don’t have to break the bank, and the thing you could make are definitely with in the reach of anyone with some basic crafting skills. Without further ado, here’s five crafty homemade Valentine’s Day gift ideas that use popular techniques and easily available materials:
- Hand-painted ceramic mugs: You can buy plain white ceramic mugs and use acrylic paint to create custom designs. To start, you will need to gather acrylic paint, paint brushes, a pencil, and some ceramic mugs. Begin by sketching out your design on the mug with a pencil. Then, use the acrylic paint and paint brushes to carefully paint your design onto the mug. Allow the paint to dry completely before using or gifting the mug. The paint will wear in time, so tell them to only use it for special occasions, like when you’re there to enjoy a cuppa with them!
- Origami hearts: No, it’s not an ancient martial art, if you didn’t already know, Origami is the art of paper folding. All you need is some colored paper and the instructions to make origami hearts. This craft requires some patience and practice, but once you master it, you can easily make a bunch of origami hearts. You can find instructions online or in origami books, or even on You Tube tutorials. Once you have made a few origami hearts, you can string them together to make a garland, or even make a mobile. This is a great way to show your loved one that you care enough to take the time to learn something new and create something special just for them.
- Handmade candles: You can make your own candles using wax, wicks, and essential oils. To start, you will need to gather soy wax, wicks, essential oils of your choice, and candle-making tools such as a double boiler, thermometer, and pouring pot. Melt the wax in the double boiler, add the essential oils, and pour the wax into candle molds. Once the candles have cooled and hardened, you can trim the wicks and gift them. This is a great way to show someone that you put thought into creating a soothing and relaxing experience for them. There may be some expense at the start with the kit, but think of all the opportunities where your own candles can be used as gifts in the furture!
- Photo collage: Create a collage of your favorite photos together and frame it. To make a photo collage, you will need a selection of photographs, a picture frame, and some glue or double-sided tape. Arrange the photos in a pleasing manner on a piece of paper or cardboard, and then glue or tape them in place. Once the glue is dry, place the collage in the frame. This is a great way to show someone that you value the memories you have together. If you’re a bit of a computer whizz, you can also do this with a programme like Photoshop or there are online services that offer this.
- Coupon book: Create a book of homemade coupons that the person can redeem for things like a homemade meal, a massage, or a night of their choice of movie and takeout. To make a coupon book, you will need some colored paper, a pen or marker, and a hole punch. Write out each coupon on a separate sheet of paper and punch a hole in the top of each one. Then, string all the coupons together with a ribbon or string to create a book. This is a great way to show someone that you are willing to put in the time and effort to make them happy.
These homemade Valentine’s Day gifts are not only thoughtful, but also will save you money and will help you to have a memorable time with your loved ones. Remember that the most important thing is to show your loved one that you care and that you put effort in making them happy.